Just a quick post to let my readers know about this documentary on Radio 4. Comedian Miles Jupp discusses the locked room mystery with such luminaries as Mike Ashley, Paul Doherty, Christopher Fowler, Jasper Fforde, Paul Halter, John Pugmire and Soji Shimada.
Not sure what inspired this documentary, but it will be on the BBC IPlayer for the next week or so. It’s a great listen, whether you’re an expert or a beginner to the genre. Fascinating to hear who the original version of Halter’s Dr Twist was, for example. The discussion with the publisher was a bit depressing…
So, on the off-chance you’ve come across this after listening to the documentary, here’s some links to reviews that I’ve written on locked rooms and impossible crimes.
- Diagnosis: Impossible – The Problems of Dr Sam Hawthorne by Edward D Hoch
- The Fourth Door by Paul Halter
- Hoodwink by Bill Pronzini
- The Mystery of the Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux
- She Died A Lady by Carter Dickson aka John Dickson Carr
- The Nightingale Gallery by Paul Harding aka Paul Doherty
- Bloodhounds by Peter Lovesey
Still don’t agree that The Hollow Man is the best introduction to the genre though. Far too complicated and over-the-top for my tastes. Must get round to re-reading it soon…