Right, a quick post to kick off 2019, to see what’s ahead for the blog.
Same old stuff, really, I don’t plan a revolution where I suddenly start reviewing YA vampire romance fiction, just the usual stream of Golden Age and modern mystery novels.
One slight addition this year is for the first time in an age, I’m going to take on one of Bev’s challenges. Bev does a load of different reading challenges over at My Reader’s Block, but the one I’m going to accept – if I do more than one, I’ll lose track of what I’m doing – is entitled “Just The Facts, Ma’am”. It’s a reading challenge regarding the list below.
The rules can be viewed here – I’ll be doing the Golden Age challenge, aiming from Master Detective. I’ll be keeping track of my progress here, updating it (probably) every month. Wish me luck!
Progress so far:
- Academic – Death Of An Author
- Professional – Murder At Derivale
- In the Medical Field – The Stars Spell Death
- Journalist/Writer – They Can’t Hang Me
- Vicar/Religious Figure – The Eight Of Swords
- Watson Narrator – The Billiard Room Mystery
- Lawyer/Barrister/Judge – He Should Have Died Hereafter
- Person’s name in the title – The Man Who Killed Fortescue
- A number in the title – The Case Of The Seven Bells
- A colour in the title – The Case Of The Black Twenty-Two
- An animal in the title – The Toy Lamb
- Method of murder in the title – The Elusive Bowman
- Written by more than one person – Bodies From The Library 2
- Includes letters/diary extracts – The Creeping Jenny Mystery
- Title with a literary allusion – The Mad Hatter Mystery
- During a special event – Royal Ascot – The Five Red Fingers
- During a recognised holiday – The Murders Near Mapleton
- Timing is critical – Death Of Mr Gantley
- During the Victorian Era – Scandal At High Chimneys
- During a weather event – Death Takes A Detour
- During WWII – Death In Captivity
- During a performance of any kind – Who Killed Dick Whittington?
- At a country house – The Ghost It Was
- In a capital city – The Waxworks Murder
- In a hospital – A Puzzle For Fools
- At a school – Love Lies Bleeding
- A country outside US/UK – The Loss Of The Jane Vosper
- Any outdoor location – The Saints Are Sinister
- In a locked room – Suddenly At His Residence
- Death On Wheels – Murder En Route
- Death By Strangulation – The Case Of The Housekeeper’s Hair
- Death by Knife/Dagger etc – With A Bare Bodkin
- Death by shooting – Murder Isn’t Cricket
- Unusual Murder Method – The Bloody Tower
- At least two deaths with different means – The Murders In Praed Street
- Death by poison – The Mystery Of The Peacock’s Eye
- Made a “best of” list – Murder Gone Mad
- Author’s surname begins with the same letter as mine – The Case Of The Leaning Man
- Author from the same country as me – Invisible Death
- Out of my comfort zone – Murder On The Way!
- Author not from my country – It Walks By Night
- A character has a job similar to mine – The Perfect Murder Case
- Read by fellow challenger – And Death Came Too
- Because “Simon Said” – Eleven Came Back